72% of all Americans will need home care as they age.
As older adults begin to experience declines in their physical and sensory capabilities, they will need products and services that help them maintain their lifestyles and activities. PCAN agencies can provide flexible scheduling, to allow seniors to maintain an independent lifestyle or provide help recovering from a hospital stay or illness.
Non-medical care is assistance with activities of daily living. This avenue of care enables a person to receive services in the privacy of their home. An agency representative conducts comprehensive in-home assessments to identify the client’s needs and to develop a plan of care.
Finding The Right People
Finding the right people to care for your loved ones in the home can be made with more assurance using a member of PCAN.
Non-Medical home care providers work in conjunction with Intermediary Service Organizations, Home Health Agencies and Hospice, offering the non-medical care that is not provided by them.
Services are charged by the hour. The personal care attendants, or caregivers, are employed by the Agency. As a result the agency is 100% responsible for all costs related to the employee and protects the client against workers compensation claims among other risks. An agency also provides back-up coverage if a caregiver calls-off a shift.
Caregiving in the U.S.
- 65.7% of family members have served as unpaid caregivers.
- 66% are female.
- 69% of the recipients have long-term physical conditions.
- 20.4 hours is the average time spent by family members weekly providing care.
- 17% of family feel their health has worsened due to strain of caregiving.
- 53% feel caregiving has taken away from family and friends. class
- Demand for caregiving has increased from 67% to 77% since 2009.
- Predominate age of recipient is over 50.
- 51% of family caregivers are also caring for children.
- Average duration of care is 4.6 years.
- Paid help has increased from 19% to 37% in 2009.
- 66% of caregivers have gone in late, left early or missed time from
work to deal with caregiving.
- The elderly account for 12.7% of the U.S. population, but consume approximately 34% of total prescriptions.
- Adverse drug reactions are amount the top five greatest threats to the health of seniors.
- 28% of hospitalizations among seniors are due to adverse drug reactions.
- 32,000 seniors suffer hip fractures each year due to falls caused by medication-related problems.
- on average, individuals 65 to 69 years old take nearly 14 prescriptions per year, individuals 80 to 84 take an average of 18 prescriptions per year.
Services are provided by the hour. Hourly rates range from $17.00 to $25.00 an hour. Included in these rates are all state and federal taxes, bonding and insurance. Agencies are the employer of the personal care attendant and are 100% responsible for all costs related to the employee. This extremely reduces the risk of inviting a stranger into your home.
Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) are essential tasks of daily life. ADLs include activities such as:
- Eating & drinking
- Dressing & bathing
- Toileting & continence
- Walking & transferring
- Hygiene & grooming
- Bathing, dressing & personal care
- Preparation of healthy meals
- Light Housekeeping
- Any other minor needs related to the maintenance of personal hygiene
- Grocery shopping
- Customized schedules
- Medication Reminders